Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fantasy Fiction and Football

Oh, the romance, the desire, the overwhelming feeling that real life is NOT GOOD ENOUGH - that's where fantasy comes in...

No, I'm not talking about anything dirty, I am talking about the compulsion we have as humans to determine that our current surroundings/ football team/ spouse/ etc are not quite what we would create if we could simply close our eyes and bewitch ourselves into something alternative, something better.  This is the consequence of being the only know sentient beings in the universe, our perceptions of what might be more entertaining or more enjoyable have no sounding board outside of others like ourselves.  And so we are trapped in our minds having these great ideas and no outlet:

Thought: I could coach a better team than any of those current NFL jokers
Solution: Fantasy Football - a mental masturbatory exercise in feeling superior because you were able to virtually compose a team of players that don't really know you're their coach

Thought: It'd be super cool if dragons were real and life was more like a game of risk.
Solution: Game of Thrones (books, HBO show, RPG and LRPG, plus I'm sure there's some sort of magic-esque game being played with the characters)

There are other examples that I could list, but these are simply the two I encountered today (if you don't count drooling over the cover art of some sexy books on Amazon), and participated in!  I am no better than the fantasy dwellers of D&D and window shopping on 5th Avenue. I will most likely never coach an NFL team (as my only qualification is that I really like to watch big tough guys make big tough plays), nor will I be indulging in backstabbing an heir to an imaginary throne (though more likely than the NFL scenario - thanks a lot Roger Goodell!) but it never hurts to fantasize.

No comments:

Post a Comment